Friday, September 30, 2011

Try This (#5): Threads

Yes, I do start with Google but instead of staying with initial websites, I follow the threads of expertise.  When you start reading about the topic I try to identify expertise: authors, speakers, institutions, homepages, educators, reviewers -- who speak from a place of authority.  Check the ABOUT button on any website you find to see who the person or group is and by what authority they speak.

Example: I searched for advise about how to take an online class.  My search turned up lots of places trying to sell me something.  But I also found wikihow - describes itself as a wikipedia of how to stuff.  I found librarian written how-to guides called LibGuides and then search it to find one from Pittsburg State.

No comments:

Post a Comment