Friday, November 4, 2011

Why the Crisis? (#5): Information Literacy

American Libraries Magazine published an article called "Information Literacy 2.0: Critical Inquiry in the Age of Social Media." (11//2011, www.americanlibrariesmagazine.org).  I agree with their focus on the challenging skills we need to navigate information these days.  Information literacy is the ability to find, use, and evaluate information in solving a problem.  Comments on how the world has changed:

"These days, what you know is almost less important than what you can find out."
"...the problem is not finding information, but determining which information is worth relying upon."
"Keeping up and being able to find the latest information is an important skill that requires not only good search skills, but also good networking skills."
"I have a large group of friends with diverse knowledge whom I can rely on when I find my own knowledge is insufficient..."
"Finding out today requires a set of skills that are very different from what most libraries focus on."

Take a look and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment